The teenage terrors responsible for a wave of neighborhood muggings have been apprehended, cops from the 84th Precinct said this week.
The underage thugs — two 13−year−olds and a 15−year−old — were apprehended on Saturday night after they were caught surrounding their sixth victim on Livingston Street near Court Street.
Officials said that an 18−year−old was walking along the street just after 7 p.m. when the three suspects surrounded and began threatening him.
Seconds later, members of the 84th Precinct’s anti−crime team swarmed the trio and took them into custody before any property was taken.
Captain Mark DiPaolo said that much like the thieves had trailed their prey, cops had already targeted the three troublemakers before they jumped their unsuspecting victim.
“Our plainclothes officers were patrolling the area when they observed the three teens,” DiPaolo said. “We were watching their actions and when they were about to do the robbery we swooped in.”
DiPaolo said that the teens, who did not live in Brooklyn Heights or the 84th Precinct, were arrested for attempted robbery.
Last week, DiPaolo predicted the thugs would be nabbed. “They are going to get caught — probably imminently,” he told this paper.
Because of their tender ages, the teens are expected to answer the charges in Family Court.
As this paper went to press, investigators were trying to link the thieves to six other robberies they’re believed to have committed in recent weeks.
Once the robbery pattern was established, DiPaolo sent both patrol officers and plain clothes officers to keep watch over the muggers’ hunting grounds, which centered around Sidney Place.
“We were pretty confident that we were going to get them,” DiPaolo told this paper. “It was just a small group of people. This wasn’t a ‘wilding’ or anything like that. It was just a matter of tracking them down.”
In each case, the victim was surrounded, and a demand was made for money. The incidents have all occurred between 5 and 9 p.m. In March, DiPaolo said four to five teens surrounded a 16−year old on Court Street and a 16−year old on Joralemon Street in two separate incidents. One of the victims suffered a broken jaw, DiPaolo said.
The alleged attackers then began to target older victims. On April 4, three thugs surrounded and threatened a 38−year−old man on Sidney Place near Joralemon Street until he gave up his iPhone, an iPod and cash. And less than a week after this paper reported that a man was mugged on Sidney Place near Joralemon Street, a reader called in to claim that he was nearly mugged at the same spot on April 13.
—With Gary Buiso
©2009 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.