The Thomas and Elizabeth Butson Awards for Clinical Excellence and Compassionate Nursing practice are granted annually to LICH nurses by Elizabeth Butson in memory of her husband, Thomas, who received his medical care at LICH.
“The ceremony recognizes and celebrates nursing in general, and validates for all of us our choice of this profession,” said Catherine Gallogly-Simon, RN, MS, CCRN, vice president of nursing. Gallogly-Simon further thanked Butson, adding, “Many people who’ve experienced loss wish to give back to the hospital which treated their loved ones. However, very few have the tenacity to keep their gratitude going for these many years. We are so fortunate to have you as our benefactor.”
This year, for the first time, a Patient Care Associate (PCA), was among the Butson winners, recognizing that PCAs augment and compliment the care delivered by RNs.
The winning nurses were:
• Sonia Taylor, a 20-year LICH surgical nurse, is one of LICH’s most highly educated nurses. She completed a masters of nursing and is a certified diabetes nurse educator. She is a clinical and educational resource to nurses, physicians and patients.
• Myra Villanueva from Mother/Baby is also a 20 year LICH “vet.” The education she delivers in such vital areas as post-natal care of a newborn, safe home environment, nutrition and more, can determine the course of her young patients’ lives for decades to come.
• Elaina Gatto, from the Emergency Department, knows that the ED is a high-stakes juggling act — Elaina excels at keeping all the balls in the air all the time.
• Verona Henry, from the Medical Ambulatory Unit, is the first PCA to receive a Butson award. She is the top half of a mother-daughter LICH team: her daughter, Charmaine Henry, RN, was a Butson award recipient last year.
• Lucia Mancuso, this year’s recipient of the Outstanding Clinical Excellence award, works on one of the most difficult units in the hospital — oncology. She is a mentor to dozens of young grads, providing them with tools and education to use throughout their career, wherever it may take them.
LICH is located at 339 Hicks Street.
©2009 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.