If the rain has kept you away from The Coney Island BOOM A RING this summer, if you haven’t feasted on the smorgasbord of entertainment that Coney Island has to offer, why not consider these 10 must-do activities — but hurry: Labor Day is right around the corner.
1.Ride The Cyclone: For roller coaster fans, The Cyclone is the stuff of legend. It first thrilled riders in 1927 and was declared a New York City landmark in 1988. There’s nothing like it. Anywhere.
2. Eat a Nathan’s Hot Dog: You don’t have to eat 68 hot dogs in 10 minutes like Joey Chestnutt did on July 4, but you can’t feel much more American than when you’re eating a Nathan’s dog at Coney.
3. Visit the Coney Island History Project: This non-profit organization opened its new exhibition center in 2007 in a former souvenir store directly below the Cyclone. Admission is free.
4. Take a Skate In Dreamland: Strap on the roller skates and get ready to party! Lola Staar’s rink is a rollicking good time, with funk, soul, disco and old school skate music filling the salty sea air.
5. Ride the Wonder Wheel: Built in 1920, the 150-foot-high Wonder Wheel became an official New York City landmark in 1989. Ride it twice: once in a stationary car and once in a swinger%u2026if you dare.
6. Take a Dip: Coney Island’s beach stretches from West 37th Street at Seagate through Coney Island and Brighton Beach to Manhattan Beach, a distance of approximately two and a half miles. Surf’s up!
7.See a Brooklyn Cyclones Game: As of mid-August, the Mets farm team sat in first place in their division with a .632 winning percentage. Shea Stadium or Keyspan Park? You decide.
8. Visit the Sideshow: Coney Island USA presents Sideshows By the Seashore, the last place in the US where you can experience a traditional 10-in-one circus sideshow. Freaks! Wonders! Human curiosities!
9. Stroll the Boardwalk: “Coney Island’s Fifth Avenue” opened with great fanfare on May 15, 1923, and remains the quintessential boardwalk experience. There are 1.3 million boards along its 2.7-mile length.
10. Experience The Coney Island BOOM A RING: It’s the spectacular summer seaside circus everyone’s talking about. Performing ’til September 7 on the corner of Surf Avenue and West 21st Street. You can’t miss the tent%u2026and you shouldn’t miss the show.
Why not make a weekend out of it? You can save money, too: For example, your ticket stub to The Coney Island BOOM A RING gets you discounts at the Cyclone, the Wonder Wheel and Dreamland Roller Rink.
Experience all 10 activities and call yourself a Coney Island Decathlon Champion, because there’s nothing like Coney Island — America’s Playground — anywhere in the world%u2026except right here in New York.
For a complete schedule of performances and more information on The Coney Island BOOM A RING, including ticket sales, visit www.ringli
©2009 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.