Courier Life’s

Downward spiral

Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Daily on Facebook.

Park Slope is continuing its trend toward becoming a crime-free zone.

Recent NYPD statistics show that felony crime in the 78th Precinct has dropped by 10 percent in 2009 and has fallen by 13 percent over the last two years.

As of October 4, felony crime had dropped across the board with the exception of car thefts, which jumped by 32 percent (from 56 in 2008 to 74 this year) and rape investigations (from two in 2008 to four this year), although police said that all of the rapes were considered domestic in some way.

Police said that robbery has dropped 8.7 percent for the year (from 103 to 94). Burglaries had dropped by 10 percent (from 156 to 140).

Thieves broke into two adjoining Park Slope restaurants last week, officials said.

Cops were told that someone broke into Tofu On 7th, 226 Seventh Avenue, after closing on September 29.

Workers did not realize that they had been burglarized until they opened for business at 11 a.m. the next day and found the register was empty.

On October 1, thieves got inside into Miracle Grill, 227 Seventh Avenue at Third Street, after forcing open the cellar door.

The thieves spirited away 61 bottles of liquor, an iPod and a wireless router.

A 16-year-old was arrested last week for allegedly harassing and robbing fellow students.

Officials alleged that the teen, identified as Jamieke Brown, held up -- albeit unsuccessfully -- at least three teens attending schools in the old John Jay High School building.

Officials alleged that Brown accosted a classmate at 12:30 p.m. on September 29 and tried to rip a cell phone from his hand.

When the teen tried to get the phone back, Brown allegedly reeled back his fist, warning, “Pop off.”

Police alleged that Brown tried to rob another teen that day. He was arrested after he allegedly tried to mug a third teen inside the school on September 30, officials said.

Cops charged Brown with attempted robbery, attempted grand larceny, menacing and harassment.

Police are looking for the gunman who ended the life of a 28-year-old walking through Wyckoff Gardens.

Victor Zapata was reportedly shot multiple times in the chest and head during a confrontation on Wyckoff Street near Nevins Street at 1:15 a.m. on September 27.

He was rushed to Long Island College Hospital where he died of his injuries.

Cops are asking anyone with information regarding this incident to come forward.

Calls can be made to the NYPD CrimeStoppers hotline at (800) 577-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.

A 31-year-old man was jumped and robbed of his property following a confrontation at the corner of Polhemus Place and Carroll Street, cops from the 78th Precinct said.

Officials said that the victim was on his way home at 2:20 a.m. on September 21 when a 20-year-old thug grabbed him and punched him in the face.

The thief ran off with $24 and a cell phone and fled after a struggle that left the victim with deep cuts to his neck.

Responding officers rounded up and arrested the suspect, identified as Clifton Thomas, a short time later, charging him with robbery.

The iPhone is popular among Park Slopers and thieves alike, it seems.

Three people were robbed of their pricey phones recently in separate incidents starting on September 21.

In that incident, a 32-year-old woman from Manhattan was walking along Lincoln Place chatting on her $300 phone when an unidentified male approached.

As he ran by, the thief plucked the phone from her hand and kept going, leaving the woman talking to herself.

The same scene played out on the evening of September 23 near the corner of Seventh Avenue and First Street, when a fast-moving thief swiped an iPhone from a 23-year-old.

The victim said that he was able to track the phone’s GPS on his laptop, but the signal disappeared on Lincoln Road near Flatbush Avenue, officials said.

Two days later, a thief swiped a 36-year-old woman’s iPhone as she walked down St. John’s Place between Fifth and Sixth avenues.

The woman said that she was on the phone at 11:45 a.m. on September 25 when the thief allegedly grabbed the phone.

A good Samaritan managed to chase the thief to the corner of Baltic Street and Fourth Avenue where responding officers arrested him, officials said.

It is unclear if he was responsible for the earlier thefts.

Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Daily on Facebook.

Reader Feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

CNG: Community Newspaper Group