Five prominent Americans from the fields of art, academia, music and film have been named to a special Green-Wood Historic Fund selection committee, which will choose a new “Angel of Music” sculpture to grace the gravesite of legendary 19th century American composer and pianist Louis Moreau Gottschalk (1829-1869) in Historic Green-Wood Cemetery.
The panelists are:
• Arnold Lehman, director of the Brooklyn Museum
• Danny Simmons, abstract-expressionist painter and newly appointed interim chair of the New York State Council of the Arts
• S. Frederick Starr, chairman of the Central Asia-Caucasus Institute; research professor, Johns Hopkins University, noted jazz musician & Gottschalk biographer
• Thayer Tolles, curator, Department of American Paintings and Sculpture at The Metropolitan Museum
• John Turturro,Brooklyn-born actor, writer and director renowned for his performances in films including Barton Fink, Quiz Show, The Big Lebowski, O Brother Where Art Thou, The Good Shepherd, and for his Emmy-award winning role in the television crime drama, Monk
In July, five renowned sculptors were chosen to participate in a competition to recreate the almost five-foot tall angel, which disappeared from Green-Wood under unknown circumstances more than 50 years ago.
The initiative, “Saved in Time: The Gottschalk Project,” is administered by the Green-Wood Historic Fund, a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, which works to conserve and restore the cemetery’s endangered monuments.
The public is invited to view the small-scale models of the new designs currently on display at Green-Wood’s Executive Office, Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. daily.The panel is expected to announce its decision in November.
Total costs for the Gottschalk Project will be approximately $200,000.The Historic Fund has undertaken a major fundraising campaign to support the effort.
To learn more, go towww.gree
©2009 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.