Courier Life’s
Today’s news:

Tunnel rat sought

A thief who spent a lot of time and energy burrowing a hole into a Lee Avenue medical office must have been quite surprised to learn that the money he was hoping to find had been placed somewhere else.

Workers at Metro SportsMed Physical Therapy said that someone tunneled through a wall into a second floor office where the days receipts are usually kept.

Call it a prognostication for the record books, but employees had decided to put the money in another room before Thanksgiving weekend.

While everyone else was eating turkey leftovers, the thieves were cutting through a wall, hoping for a payday that never materialized, said police, who added that the thieves left the scene empty handed.

Cops are asking anyone with information regarding this incident to come forward.

Calls can be made to the 90th Precinct at (718) 963-5311. All calls will be kept confidential.

A 17-year-old was arrested last week, but not for his sharp wit.

It was for the knife he had on him as he chased another man down Manhattan Avenue, police said this week.

Officials said that Kareem Foote was charged with menacing, criminal mischief and criminal possession of a weapon on December 1 for the heated exchange that took place on November 14.

His victim said that he was arguing with Foote near Moore Street when the teen pulled his knife and threatened to cut him with it.

Foote reportedly chased his victim all the way home and wasn’t stopped by a door slamming in his face. He allegedly kicked and banged on the door, breaking the lock, before storming off.

It was unclear what the two were arguing about as this paper went to press.

A 50-year-old Bushwick Avenue man was arrested last week on charges that he had attacked his wheelchair-bound 82-year-old father.

Officials said that the man, who was not named, allegedly punched the senior during a skirmish in an apartment they shared near Moore Street on the night of 10:45 p.m. He is also accused of pushing the senior into a wall and closing a door on the elderly man’s face.

The man’s overall rage wasn’t just focused on his father, said prosecutors, who added that he tried to beat up the officers who were called to take him into custody on assault, menacing and harassment charges.

Police are looking for a sticky fingered thief who made off with a straphanger’s pocketbook on a Brooklyn-bound J train.

The victim told police that the thief, a woman, approached her victim as the train left the Canal Street station in Manhattan at about 5 p.m. on November 29 and asked her for directions.

But when the train reached the Hewes Street station, the woman went in another direction -- right out the subway car door with her victim’s handbag, as well as her wallet, digital camera, credit cards and some cash found inside, in her clutches.

A neighborhood grocer had his teeth knocked out of his head during a daring raid committed by a couple of jaw breakers.

Cops from the 90th Precinct said that the suspects barged into the store on Wythe Avenue between South 8th Street and Broadway at 8 p.m. on November 12 and jumped the supermarket clerk.

They punched the man repeatedly, chipping several of his teeth, and then ran off with $350 in receipts and fifteen cases of beer, officials said.

Police are asking anyone with information regarding this incident to come forward.

Calls can be made to the 90th Precinct at (718) 963-5311. All calls will be kept confidential.

An area man has been connected to a pistol-whipping and robbery in Brooklyn Heights, officials said.

Police said that 32-year-old Tommy Hairston, a resident of George Street, was being sought for questioning on the September 3 robbery.

A 67-year-old man said that he was exiting his vehicle on Pierrepont Street just before 9 p.m. when Hairston allegedly ran up to him with a gun in his hand.

Hairston demanded that the victim hand over a bag he was carrying containing money.

When the victim refused, he allegedly pistol-whipped the victim.

Hairston was last seen fleeing the area in a white-colored automobile. The car was later recovered in East New York, although Hairston could not be found.

His victim was taken to New York Methodist Hospital with a large cut to his face.

Cops are asking anyone with information regarding this incident to come forward.

Calls can be made to the NYPD CrimeStoppers hotline at (800) 577-TIPS. All calls will be kept confidential.

Pin It
Print this story Permalink

Reader Feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

This week’s featured advertisers

CNG: Community Newspaper Group