Courier Life’s

Mom killer admits guilt, calls shooting “accidental”

Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Daily on Facebook.

By Thomas Tracy

The man who gunned down a single mom during a botched Bensonhurst robbery last year admitted his guilt last week, claiming that victim Jessica Enger was shot “by accident.”

Murderer Alan Chapparo’s confession came during a short Wednesday court appearance where he was sentenced to 25 years in prison for shooting Enger, 31, as his attempts to rob the young woman’s upstairs neighbor went awry.

On the night of the shooting, Enger was staying with a friend – another young mother – in an apartment on 85th Street near 24th Avenue as she saved up money for an apartment for herself and six-year-old son Nicholas, who was staying at the young woman’s parents’ place that night.

At 6 a.m. on October 1, 2008, a masked Chapparo crept into the first-floor apartment. He grabbed both Enger and her friend. and forced them to an upstairs apartment, where neighborhood pizzeria owner Xhevdet Nuzi lived.

Chapparo barged into the apartment, woke Nuzi up and threatened to shoot one of the two women if he didn’t fork over the money he knew was hidden inside, police said.

Sometime during the theft, Chapparo began fighting with Nuzi. During the struggle the gun went off, wounding Enger. She died of her injuries at Lutheran Medical Center.

Chapparo, 28, fled the apartment with $9,000 in cash but didn’t have long to spend it. Cops arrested him for Enger’s murder in a few short weeks.

Early in the investigation cops determined that Enger had been shot by accident, which Chapparo confirmed Wednesday.

“I had no intention of taking a young lady’s life,” Chaparro told Enger’s heartbroken family at his sentencing. “I’m doing a lot of years paying for this accident that happened. I just want to say to the family that I’m sorry.”

Investigators determined that Chapparo entered the first floor apartment thinking that it was Nuzi’s. When he realized his mistake, he took the two women hostage.

The bullet that killed Enger went through her arm into her chest, said police sources, bolstering claims that Enger’s death was accidental.

Enger, a New Jersey native, was working two jobs to provide for her and her son. She came to Brooklyn by way of Florida, where she attended school, friends and family members said.

Prosecutors said that Chapparo’s sentence was hammered out during a deal in which the 28-year-old pled guilty to manslaughter.

Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Daily on Facebook.

Reader Feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

This week’s featured advertisers

CNG: Community Newspaper Group