Kelly wants to plan a corn field at Union and Bergen streets. Here’s what you need to know:
• The project, called “Maize Field,” is about our changing borough.
• She relied on old maps of Indian farming lands.
• She’s planting Lenape Blue Flour Corn, also known as “Sehsapsing.”
• It’s native to Oklahoma, having been brought there by a Lenape woman.
• She’ll also plant Lenape cutshort beans, which despite their name, grow six feet tall.
• She’ll also plant Seneca sunflowers, the only extant Native American sunflowers.
• The money for the piece comes from the Department of Transportation.
©2010 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.