Christmas slap! Good Shepherd tree lighting dedicated to accused pedophile

The faithful at Good Shepherd Church dedicated a Christmas tree outside of the Batchelder Street house of worship to accused pedophile Msgr. Thomas Brady — a move that the victim’s family finds downright sinful.

“The tree is dedicated to people who have done good work in the community and Msgr. Brady’s name was on it,” explained the father of the 14-year-old boy the 77-year-old priest allegedly molested. “It made me feel very angry and my child is traumatized.”

Police arrested Brady in October, claiming that the former spiritual leader attempted to perform a “criminal sex act” on two minors at two different times.

Sources say that one of the victims — a student at Good Shepherd Parochial School — was in the church rectory with Brady when the senior, who parishioners say has had several strokes and is currently fighting lung cancer, made several lewd comments. At one point, the former FDNY chaplain “offered to have sex” with the minor, cops said.

Investigators did not say that Brady had touched the child. Neither did the Diocese, which put Brady, an FDNY chaplain with close ties to Brooklyn District Attorney Charles Hynes, on administrative leave for having “inappropriate contact” with the teenager, as well as a second teen. Diocese officials learned about the second attack while investigating the first.

Yet, just after Thanksgiving, Good Shepherd parishioners added Brady’s name to a list of people remembered at their Christmas tree lighting.

“This year’s tree lighting is dedicated to Monsignor Thomas F. Brady for his service to and love for the people of Good Shepherd,” read an oaktag-sized placard hanging on the gate next to the tree. The tree lighting was also dedicated to Maimonidies Medical Center and several parishioners who had passed away.

The father of the teen was outraged that the church would honor a man accused of a sex crime — particularly on one of the church’s own — but never complained to the church pastor.

Instead, he called the media. A day after the story ran in the New York Daily News, a Manhattan newspaper, he got a call from Bishop Nicholas DiMarzio’s office.

“[The Bishop’s staff] said they were sorry and asked what they could do,” the victim’s aunt explained. “We told them the only acceptable form of an apology would be to take the sign down. So far, they haven’t done that.”

Instead, someone plastered the Daily News article on the tree dedication, the victim’s father said.

“I don’t understand, the church admitted that Brady attacked my son [by taking him away], but why did they dedicate the tree to him? All it does is punish my son.”

Good Shepherd Church Pastor James Devlin did not talk to reporters about the tree dedication. Calls to the Diocese for comment were not returned.

Because of his connections to Hynes, the case has been handed over to Staten Island DA to be prosecuted. Brady is expected back in court in February.

Reach reporter Thomas Tracy at ttracy@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-2525.

Mat from Marine Park says:
People just refuse to think for themselves and be honest with all the evidence around them, they are just too afraid to abandon the fairy tales and admit what is clearly staring them in the face for the past 2000 years.
Jan. 4, 2012, 7:01 pm
Marie from Marine Park says:
I find it appalling and offensive that this story would appear without the full facts. Why is it not mentioned that Monsignor Brady also suffers from dementia/Alzheimer disease? It's a huge part of the story! In fact, it's the basis of the story. His nephew...who was interviewed by Channel 2 News reporter Lou Young on Oct. 14- clearly said his uncle has not been well mentally, etc. Before you report such a story- perhaps it's a good idea to get all the facts- and not report only half of them.
Am certainly not saying if true- that it's justified, of course it isn't. However, having a mental illness (again, if true) is a huge factor that certainly should've been mentioned in this story.

I feel awful for the child (children) involved-along with their families. No child should suffer any form of abuse- ever- under any circumstances. I pray the children involved are safe, healthy, and well. If help is needed for alleged victims, and accuser- I hope and pray all involved get well deserved attention necessary in their healing.

One would think if Monsignor had a history of this- given his 50 plus years of service, that it sure as hell would've come out by now. Common sense can only dictate Monsignor Brady is not mentally stable. If accusations are correct- and I pray they aren't..then, my belief is it's his illnesses that took over, and not the man.

Monsignor Brady is well loved, and respected by many, many people in various communities from all walks of life.

Amazes me what the media can and does to an already horribly sad story. Deeming the headline of the story..."Sicko", speaks volumes to me of your own knowledge and credibility as a person- with no regard how it makes a persons family feel seeing that in print. By that one word, you've already pretty much formed the publics opinion, which, is immoral, and not fair.
Jan. 5, 2012, 3:43 pm
BB from MP says:
this article is absoulutely disgusting. I STAND BY BY MSGR. BRADY.
Jan. 5, 2012, 4:40 pm
Brian from Gerristen Beach says:
I think that this article is completely absurd. No one can judge mnsgr. Brady if you never spoken with the man. You cant just judge him by this ONE infamous act he committed over his WHOLE LIFE. He is a great man. He would've done anything for anybody. So before you make any false accusations about this innocent man and right them on the internet, get them right at least. I stand by you Mnsgr. and i always will.
Jan. 5, 2012, 6:40 pm
BC from Marine park says:
Brian....how can you judge someone by one act? Simple...he MOLESTED children. What would you think if that was your child? How about saying a prayer in mass and dedicating the tree lighting ceremony to their victims and their families.
Jan. 5, 2012, 9:28 pm
lcw from marine park says:
I find it offensive that the Mill Marine would not title the story "SICKO FATHER". Listen anyone who thinks that their child was alledgedly molested would do anything to protect their child. But for someone to constantly go to the press is making it worse for the child. I think the father is just an egotist and he wants money. He already stated that the diocese is dragging their feet. What are they doing wrong? He was arrested the day after and now it is in the hands of the courts. The tree was lit the first week of December. Now he decides to say something about the dedication. If my child was "Supposedly" molested, I would have taken him out of the school. What's up with that?

Maybe the father should concentrate his energy on his son and not looking for his five minutes of fame.
Let me correct the father also by saying that the diocese did not admit Monsignor was guilty by removing him from the parish. Once a priest is accused (whether true or not) they have to be removed and put on leave until they have all the facts.
I am sorry that the editor would print such a horrible story without the facts. I think everyone in the parish should throw that rag of a newspaper right in the garbage where it belongs. I certainly have had it with them.

Whatever the real story is, the kids should be telling it not just one father. I hope and pray that the boys get the counseling and support they need.

Monsignor Brady is a wonderful man and will always be in the hearts of the Parishoners.
Jan. 6, 2012, 2:33 pm
ed from flatbush says:
why is the principal of good shepherd being so quiet? his son was also molested by brady.....anyone???????
Jan. 7, 2012, 8:26 am
Lou from Marine Park says:
The Principal's own son was "allegedly" molested as the principal stood outside the door, sending boys in, one at a time, for pre-confirmation interviews. Oddly enough, no girls were "interviewed." Msgr's health attendant was sent home prior to these interviews. The parish is all to quick to point out that msgr suffers from dimentia. Add all of this up, please, before further stigmatizing the victims, or "alleged" victims. Let judgement proceed swiftly, so we can all find out the truth here.
Jan. 7, 2012, 7:53 pm
AC from Marine Park says:
Disgusting article. I stand by Msgr. Brady
Jan. 10, 2012, 8:07 pm
DM from out of town says:
I wasn't there and didn't see it happen but I know one thing.....I will NEVER be able to watch my wedding video without shrilling at the fact that this MIGHT be true.
Jan. 12, 2012, 6:49 pm
DM from out of town says:
Msgr Brady married us
Jan. 12, 2012, 6:50 pm
lew from marine park says:
DM:

I am sure that all is said and done in court this man will be vindicated. The only problem is that his reputaion is ruined and no matter what he will always be viewed as an abuser. Monsignor cannot even move without assistance and holding onto his walker.
Jan. 13, 2012, 6:32 am