Both state Sen. Marty Golden and Rep. Michael Grimm are fending off Democratic challengers hoping to take Bay Ridge out of the GOP’s grasp for good.
Golden (R-Bay Ridge) is seeking a sixth term in office, while underdog Democrat Andrew Gounardes is determined to unseat the legislator in a campaign that has become increasingly bitter.
• Retired New York City police officer. Former councilman and owner of the Bay Ridge Manor catering hall.
• Defeated then-state Sen. Vincent Gentile (D–Bay Ridge) in 2002 to represent a wide swath of Brooklyn from Bay Ridge to Marine Park. In turn, Gentile took over Golden’s council seat.
• Age 62, married. Two children.
• Attorney. He’s also a Community Board 10 member and an Eagle Scout.
• Former aide to Councilman Vincent Gentile and U.S. Sen. Robert Menendez (D–New Jersey). Currently works for Citizens Committee for New York City.
• Age 27, single. No children.
• Golden claims that Gounardes lacks experience and wouldn’t be able to bring home the bacon from the GOP-controlled senate.
• Gounardes claims Golden has www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2012/41/br_goldengounardes_2012_10_19_bk.html). ">consistently voted against his constituents’ interests.
• Golden has come under fire for condemning police surveillance of mosques after signing a letter to Police Commissioner Ray Kelly praising the program in 2011.
• Gounardes has raised $278,000 for his campaign — small change compared to Golden’s $1.1 million.
• • •
Rep. Michael Grimm is in the middle of a controversy surrounding his fund-raising practices. His challenger Mark Murphy — the son of disgraced former Staten Island Rep. Jack Murphy — hopes to exploit that.
• Served in the U.S. Marines during the first Gulf War. Former FBI agent and small business owner.
• Swooped in on a wave of Tea Party support to defeat Rep. Mike McMahon in 2010.
• Age 42, divorced. No children.
• Former television actor, real estate agent, and aide to Public Advocate Bill de Blasio.
• His father, Rep. Jack Murphy, served 20 months in prison in the 1980s for accepting bribes from federal agents disguised as Arab sheikhs.
• Age 41, single. No children.
• Murphy has blasted Grimm over accusations that the legislator strong-armed an Orthodox Jewish congregation into donating to his 2010 campaign, and for reports that federal agents took Grimm fund-raiser Ofer Biton into custody for extortion and ecstasy-dealing.
• Grimm has denied wrongdoing, and has cast Murphy as a dabbling daddy’s boy who returned to the district after 18 years in Hollywood in order to run for office.
• Murphy failed to appear at any debates or candidates forums in Brooklyn, and only turned out for one in Staten Island.
• Grimm’s campaign collected more than $2 million and spent $1.7 million. Murphy has scratched together $824,424 and spent $694,635.
Will BreddermanReach reporter Will Bredderman at (718) 260–4507 or e-mail him at email@example.com. Follow him on Twitter at twitter.com/WillBredderman
©2012 Community News Group
By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:
You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.