Marine Park Junior High School evacuated after pepper spray is unleashed

UPDATE: Pepper spray unleashed at Marine Park school

A Marine Park junior high school was evacuated and up to 28 were injured when four girls allegedly unleashed a cloud of pepper spray inside a crowded cafeteria Thursday, police report.

Police, firemen, and medical personnel were called to Intermediate School 278 on Stuart Street between Fillmore Avenue and Avenue U at 12:52 pm, where they found the entire student body filed onto the street, with some being treated for injuries related to inhaling and coming into contact with the airborne irritant.

Following the incident, several eighth-grade students at the school called the paper claiming to have witnessed the harrowing incident, and described the scene inside the cafeteria as utter chaos after the pepper spray was released.

“People were crying, I was crying, there was screaming, people were throwing up, they couldn’t breath,” said an eighth-grade girl, who was inside the cafeteria during the incident. “It was terrible. The teachers were furious.”

Another girl claiming to witness the incident said that, despite the four arrests, only two girls were responsible for all the mayhem — one for bringing the pepper spray into the school, and another for actually spraying it.

“There were only two people involved that got arrested, and then there were two people who weren’t involved, who also got arrested,” said an eighth-grade student at IS 278, claiming to be a witness.

The girls described the amount of pepper spray unleashed as relatively small compared to all the havoc it caused and that students, especially those prone to asthma attacks, were affected even on the far end of the lunch room where the noxious spray was unleashed.

“There was one boy who had an asthma attack and he was all the way across the cafeteria,” said one girl.

Two student were moved from school grounds to Maimonides Medical Center, according to an FDNY spokeswoman.

Students were allowed back into the school shortly after 2 pm, or about an hour after the incident, but it was to near to the closing bell to carry on with classes and the students were released.

Three 14-year-old girls and one 13-year-old cops think were responsible for the pepper spray were arrested at the scene.

Reach reporter Colin Mixson at cmixson@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4514.

Anoynomus says:
Dats My School 4 Yaaa....Bullets,Weed,Drugs,Bad Students....SMFH....I think what they did was really stupid.But these girls is madd nice....Garafalo should be really ashamed of her self...
May 23, 2013, 5:51 pm
8th grader witness says:
DAMN....school is crazy spraying pepper spray smfh
wtf was she thinking nothing was going to happen
blaming friends and stuff
only 1 person should have got arrested not 4
May 23, 2013, 6:12 pm
THAT'S WHO... says:
Free ANNA ......
May 23, 2013, 6:14 pm
8th grader witness says: from Marine PARK says:
I was personally their I go to Marine Park Junior High and the scene was crazy. Everyone was evacuated and people were coughing left and right and lots of kids claiming to be injured. Personally I didn't feel well in the cafeteria and the air to me deffinetly didn't smell right. Then all of a sudden we have our assistant principle Mrs.Oconell throwing up in the cafertria and not being able properly. A worried student brought her a water bottel and she was alright. Also two kids outside when we had to be brought out there got hit in the heads with tree branches and the whole situation was turning into a disaster and a sad sick day. Hope everyone feels better and recovers quickly.
May 23, 2013, 6:20 pm
8th grader: from Marine PARK says:
why would a kid bring pepper spray to school. shouldn't they expect something to go wrong and people going to get hurt. these kids are crazy parents should not blame marine park for this incident because it wasn't there fault they knew nothing about it. its the kids who did it fault. a was in the cafeteria at the time of the incident and a smell this stinky stuff. a was like" what the hell" 25 of marine park kids was hurt included my best friend.
May 23, 2013, 6:26 pm
7th grader from Marine Park says:
the entire thing was so crazy. TONS of ambulances and firetrucks i first thought that ther was a gas leak or something
May 23, 2013, 6:37 pm
Anonmause Cripk says:
My School Is Live,not because of the teachers or staff but because of the students :) . So what if they sprayed pepper spray in the school , no body really got hurt it was just over exaggerated as always . Some kids were faking to be sick , some doing stupid —— and its annoying , marine park staff should be fired ( except the janitor jason , thats my —— )
May 23, 2013, 6:42 pm
6th grader of marinepark from Marinepark says:
I couldnt believe wat was going on, i was just in my 7th period class and then a fire drill went off. I went outside to see firefighters cops and the news out side.. We all piles into the actul park it self. I noticed tht it wasnt practice because there wouldnt be all the engines, and it wasnt a fire because there was no smoke.. At this point i didnt no what was going on. Then all of a sudden i see everyone rushing to the gates so i did and i saw 4 gurls get into the cop car WITH handcuffs.. This is when i asked someone wat happened becaus it wasnt normal any more.. Then my friend got hit in the head wit a branch.. This was total kayas.. When i was walking up the stairs to my homeroom, i looked out the window to see my friendnwit a mask on.. And all these people hurt or sick.. Omg this day was hecktic
May 23, 2013, 8:17 pm
Nicole Ciolino's Bestie Anyaa says:
Yoooo it was crazyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy...It wasnt exaggerated..people got hurt and injured.....I feel bad for Zayda and Kiah...But also for the people who got hurt....Today was longgggg and really crazy im just happy everybody is okayyy...hopefully ;)
May 23, 2013, 8:20 pm
mp 7th grader says:
that —— was crazy onfg me n my besties was like da hel and the we was like this aint no drill this is real and it felt like a movie lol but i was scard and honastly i am like done withthis school there was o.d cop cars fire trucks and ambulences and its like whats next a shooting lol
May 23, 2013, 8:22 pm
Nicole Ciolino bestie Anyaa says:
Worddd Nickii..............
May 23, 2013, 8:24 pm
8th grade witness from Brooklyn says:
I was in the lunchroom when this happened. At first it didn't seem like a big deal because we were all taken out of the room. Then, all of a sudden you see people having cough fits and some were teary eyed. Also, I saw the 8th grade assistant principle coughing and her face was red. Someone offered her water which by the way was very nice. So we left the lunchroom and went to period 7 and then we hear gongs. The first thing I thought was it must be a fire drill. So I left my stuff and we all lined up and waited for a long time. IT WAS CHAOS with all those trucks and kids. Especially the kids with asthma. It wad sad to see people you know get arrested and i just hope this all blows over.
May 23, 2013, 8:40 pm
I Agree 100% with 8th grade witness from Brookly says:
i really agree with u —— was crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
May 23, 2013, 8:44 pm
Dylan from Marine Park says:
I had left the lunchroom early 6th period and I was walking up the stairs to my next class. When all of a sudden I noticed people coughing, their eyes swelling, and they were very shakey. Then out of nowhere my friend Andrew had gone to the nurse. He had mentioned a pepper spray, mace, etc. had been sprayed. Afterwards during the period a girl named Jayln had walked into the class hacking. We started walking outside as if it were a fire drill. I saw many of my friend on the inside of something like a barricade, they were all on oxygen machines and had asthma pumps. An hour later we were dismissed from school. hoping everyone is well. :)
May 23, 2013, 9:24 pm
Jonathan from Marine park says:
I was at my 7th period class at first when the gongs rung I thought it was a fire drill so every one takes their things and leave. When we came out I saw kids with air mask on and I said to my self what is going on. Their we're also police and ambulances so then I knew it was no fire drill. Then I go lookin for my cousin who is in 8th grade. After I found her she told me that someone had sprayed peppersray in the luchroom and I said why would they do that. After I had found my class we stood in line for about 10-30 minutes. During that time a friend tells me that a branch broke off a tree and hit to girls and then everyone move to the handball court. After waiting a while we went inside and got dismissed.
May 23, 2013, 10:03 pm
kim says:
i actually cnt believe that they would do that. Im glad everyone is ok though.
May 23, 2013, 10:23 pm
chris from from Marine Park says:
Kids are so crazy nowadays. Look what 4 cans of pepper spray does to us. Shame on them!!!!!
May 24, 2013, 7:27 am
maria esposito from brooklyn ny says:
i just cant believe that these kids had to suffer the way they did
May 24, 2013, 9:04 am
maria esposito from brooklyn ny says:
i went to that school 1984 and it was nothing like this
May 24, 2013, 9:05 am
Tom from Marine Park says:
I remember that school in the 70's and nothing went on like that!Those students should be expelled!In addition,I think they should start looking at what kind of students they are letting into the scholl.This neighborhood does not need "students"like that!
May 24, 2013, 1:31 pm
from marine park says:
umm yea our school is jacked up if it wasnt for them girl aa tree wouldnt have fell on me and i wouldnt have been paranoid of trees now
May 24, 2013, 4:18 pm
lori from marine park says:
The saddest part of this is to read the coments from the student. A sad commentary on the NYC public schools of today.
May 25, 2013, 11:11 am
Bluestocking from Mill Basin says:
Goodness, my prayers go out to today's teachers, for what they try to do every day--teach teens who really don't want to learn! Animals in a zoo are more receptive to being taught than some of today's students.
Some of the comments above prove that being a smart guy is much easier than being a wise man. Lack of education is shining through.
May 25, 2013, 1:11 pm
Think About It from Brooklyn says:
Just an FYI, this incident was totally blown way out of proportion. I am happy all the kids are safe and nobody was seriously injured; but what is more sad is that if not some, most of you don't know the full story are are quick to pass judgement because you listen to the hype by other students and other school personnel. If you knew the kids involved, their academic standing and their families you would know better and not pass judgement or believe all of the stories (media as well as from the school). Keeping it real in the most professional and respectful way I can...
May 26, 2013, 8:10 pm
ermina 6th grade says:
yoo it was crazy! everybody was scared including me! i couldn't believe what was happening! i saw some 8th graders with oxygen masks!!! i was soo scaried to go back into the school after what happened! i feel so sorry for those people got hurt! this school should become a little better with knowing the kids!!!
May 27, 2013, 8:45 pm
Lauren from Marine Park says:
Sad situation. I do have to wonder, though, with all the terrible spelling and English in these comments, how on earth did these kids make it all the way to the 6th grade and above???
June 7, 2013, 5:49 pm
ashley says:
this was crazy
June 18, 2013, 7:21 pm
Anonymous from Parts unknown says:
The teacher write you up for nothing also allow kid to bully each other and teacher bully kids they even mentally hurt special ed kids
March 14, 12:39 am