Courier Life’s

Hinsch’s to Remain Open in Bay Ridge, With New Menu and Alcohol Options

Ridge luncheonette survives second death

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Daily on Facebook.

It’s Hinsch’s 3.0!

The 65-year-old Fifth Avenue luncheonette — formerly slated to close for the second time in two years on March 1 — will remain open for the foreseeable future, with a new nighttime personality that will give customers a different menu, shaded windows, jazz music while they eat, and the option to bring in their own alcohol.

Hinsch’s co-owner Roger Desmond — who helped save the restaurant from the grave in 2011 — said he had a national burger chain lined up to take over his 10-year lease on the space between 86th and 87th streets, but the deal fell through. Desmond put the spot back on the market, but in the meantime is looking to shake things up at the ice cream parlor, which he claims has so far failed to attract the vital youth market.

“I want to make it work. I always wanted to make it work. So while I’m here, I’m going to continue to try to make it work,” said Desmond.

The businessman said he plans have the 1950s soda fountain transform at nightfall into a swinging hangout for the dinner crowd, bringing blinds down over the windows and staying open at least two hours longer than its former 9 pm bedtime. Candles will go out on the tables, the radio system will turn from golden oldies to jazz, and the kitchen will start serving chicken francaise, Texas meatloaf, fried chicken and waffles, and a cheeseburger with beef from gourmet meat dealer Pat LaFrieda. And instead of just drinking egg creams, customers will be free to bring in a six-pack of beer or a bottle of wine.

“It’s going to be a different place at night,” said Desmond, adding that the changeover will start in the next week. “I can’t wait to see what it will look like myself.”

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at twitter.com/WillBredderman.

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Daily on Facebook.

gladys from Gerritsen Beach says:
Jazz might work for the yuppies, but may want to rethink music for the younger crowd. Otherwise, sounds like a great idea. Wish you the best.
Jan. 31, 2013, 3:02 pm
peppertree5706 from Sheepshead Bay says:
I hope it works out.
Jan. 31, 2013, 4:04 pm
Jeannie from Old Bay Ridge says:
Doo-wop, Beatles, Billy Joel & other "cover band" music is my suggestion if I may put in my 2 cents. Jazz is cool too, but songs that people can sing along to... together with a bottle of red, bottle of white, would be fun to see my friends tonight....you can do anything you want, at Hinch's Restaurant! LOL, good luck and great that you're thinking out of the box to try and make it work! Very cool idea. Mr. Fried would be proud. ♪♪♪
Feb. 26, 2013, 8:11 pm
Petrina Di Santo from gravesend says:
I love Hinch's they have the best old-fashioned malts. Yum! I always stop in for lunch, when in Bay Ridge... so happy you will stay open.
Feb. 26, 2013, 9:05 pm
Janice from Bay Ridge says:
It's between 85th & 86th - not 86th & 87th.
Feb. 26, 2013, 10:47 pm
Carmen Hernandez from Sunset Park says:
I agree with having people singing 50's, 60's, 70's, 80's and even 90'S.That would be so great karaoke style.That would be so great even keeping family style and keep those delicious egg creams coming.Doesn't have to fancy but it would be so great that families can enjoy clean, decent, family time.I could just imagine it so clearly.So many families wanting to be there without having to go far to enjoy each other.I wish you good luck and good health to make this dream happen.Thank you for saving Hinch's Ice Cream Parlor.Let's go back to the good olds days where time was so precious and family was so important.
Feb. 26, 2013, 10:54 pm
natalie from upper Bay Ridge says:
Their sundaes were to die for, malts out of this world and baked apples, I used to buy by the platter and take home. How about staying with that theme and then rotating it several times a week with Moroccan or Caribbean, Greek. Something relating to the nationalities in the area. Those people would be drawn to the shop.
Feb. 27, 2013, 10:49 am
John from Honolulu says:
Thank you for keeping the memories alive. See you at Ft. DeRussey.
Feb. 28, 2013, 2:51 am
Johnnie C aka Lefty from The Ridge says:
Hi Roger
Sounds like a very cool idea.
Good Luck with it. Add in a CD with Mike Garriagan signing Every Christian Lion Hearted Man, as he used to do outside the door on 5th Avenue.
March 2, 2013, 10:15 am