Courier Life’s

Stan thinks murderers ought to suffer

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Daily on Facebook.

Several weeks ago I wrote:

“After wearing my clean used clothing, I told some of the hotel and ship employees to take the garments home with them. I cannot begin to tell you how thrilled they were to receive used, but still in decent condition, Yankees and Mets T-shirts, old college sweatshirts, casual uniforms …”

Reader Ed Stein responded: “Wow Stan! You gave used clothing to ‘The Help’! How … white of you! I have some used socks. Clean. Want ‘em?”

No Thank You, Mr. Stein. I don’t want them but I’m sure that there are less fortunate people than us who do. Or you might want to do what Bill Clinton did. He donated his used garments to charity and took tax deductions for what he overestimated was the value. One of the biggest jokes among journalists at that time was when they discovered he valued his very used, but clean undershorts at $2 each.

•••

Mr. Stein, I just want to say “Thank You” for reading and offering your comments. Even though we agree on very little, I am grateful for your efforts. Whether you agree or disagree with me, your remarks seem to wake up the crowd. Thank you again.

•••

Mr. Stein also wrote: “Stan ! Another botched execution!! Two (2) whole hours to strangle to death this time! In Arizona. Better and better. You’re getting your wish.”

Yes, Mr. Stein. My wish is that all murderers suffer not just a little bit, but a lot. One woman was quoted on the radio as saying, “Oh, that poor man.” You can quote me as saying “Oh that poor family.” They waited twenty-five years for justice to be served. I have no sympathy for the murderer. In the twenty-five years of his incarceration he watched TV, had his choice of books from a free lending library, had government health insurance, a better dental plan than most of us, a state-of-the-art gym, and he ate 27,375 well-balanced meals and more … all at taxpayers’ expense.

Many years ago, before Canarsie was wired for cable TV, State Senator Howard Babbush and I were good friends. He had just returned from a week-long inspection of various prisons, and his opening comment to me was, “Stan, they’re eating better than us and they have cable.”

I am holding a magazine article that says, “Most people don’t care if convicted murderers suffer. In fact, some prefer it that way.” And I am one of them. This guy lived twenty-five years longer than his victims. I am StanGershbein@Bellsouth.net wondering, what’s the big deal over another two hours?

•••

Two weeks ago I asked why Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and Chuck Schumer, the two most important Jews in politics, haven’t been heard from regarding the situation in Israel. Debbie’s comments were tucked away on page 11 in her local newspaper down in Florida. We still have not heard from Chuck.

Read Stan Gershbein's column every Monday on BrooklynDaily.com.

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Daily on Facebook.

Ronald from Sheepshead Bay says:
I'm with you Stan. Couldn't agree with you more. These liberal are ruining the country.
Aug. 25, 2014, 11:28 am
Ed Stein from BB says:
The thing is Stan, we hve this little document called the Constitution. In it is a ban forbidding "cruel and unusual punishment". It does ban executions; it does ban carrying them out cruelly. That would seem to cover torture.
The Constitution was written by prople who were familiar with things like that under the Brits and decided to do things better in the US. You are deliberately throwing sand in people's eyes here. The guy got death. Deservedly so. But toryure is not to be part of the punishment. If simple logic, and the Constitution are not enough for you maybe the Talmud will convince you. It too outlaws torture as it turns people into sadists. Or maybe you would like to adopt ALL the methods used by ISIS/ISIL/IS islamofascists and continue to proclaim your moral superiority.
As for the less fortunate working poor accepting your used underwear, perhaps if you were to pay them a living wage, they woul be able to buy their own.
Or maybe you also want to bring back debtor prison and indentured servitude.
Aug. 25, 2014, 3:04 pm
M. Gold from Sheepshead Bay says:
Constitution? We still have a Constitution? Does Obama know?
Aug. 26, 2014, 5:24 am
Ronald from Sheepshead Bay says:
Libs like Mr. Ed are only concerned with the Constitution when it serves their narrative. Why are they not up in arms when President Obama blatantly disregards it?
Aug. 26, 2014, 6:37 am
Ed Stein from BB says:
Ronald McDonald:
Mind reading these days? Clown school is getting better & better.

Obama, you, Stan, Bush, etc., have all forgotten about the Constitution.

The Koch brothers, Cheney, Fox and others who hide behind all sorts of tax exempt organizations with pseudo patriotic sounding names not only ignore it - they go out of their way to totally trash it. Deliberately and with malice (any time these words get too hard for you - just let me know....OK? ).

That they get masses of clownish fools to support them is the real shame.

They sell out the country for 30 pieces of silver as it were. Fools sell out themselves as well for even less. And wave the flag for free while they do it.
Amazing.
Aug. 27, 2014, 5:55 am
Stan Gershbein from Courier Life says:

Ed Stein: I am not in charge of doling out punishment for murderers nor is that in my power but, when torture accidently happens before an execution such as the one we had recently I am among those who stand up and cheer. YES! Let the murdering slime suffer a bit along the way. But he did NOT suffer. He just entered hell twenty-five years and two hours after he should have entered. One of the drugs used in the execution cocktail is a very large overdose of a pain reliever. Even though he stayed alive for an extra two hours, he felt no pain. NO PAIN – THAT is my biggest regret.
As for wishing and hoping, since when is it against the constitution to root, root, root for the home team? Of all the errors this administration has made I don’t think it has yet created a thought police. Did it?
And finally, before I leave for the holiday weekend, we still have freedom of speech, do we not? And even though we seldom agree on anything, I will still offer to shake your hand and buy you a drink if we ever meet.
Aug. 27, 2014, 4:06 pm
MARILYN from Sheepshead Bay says:
Well said, Mr. Gershbein, but you, I believe, are too kind when it comes to 'proven' murderers.
I would have them put in a cage in the open, with no food, no liquids, and let those who choose to, watch them wither away. Good riddance!
I cannot understand why we keep prisoners in jail for so many years, waiting or their trials to come to fruition--at taxpayers' expense.
Aug. 27, 2014, 8:26 pm
Ronald from Sheepshead Bay says:
Geeze I wonder if Mr. Ed would feel the same about the murderer if it were his daughter that was raped, tortured, brutally beaten, buried alive and killed. Stan I give you credit, you are a gentlemen. Offering your hand, purchase of a drink, not me, I don't do bleeding heart liberal.
Ronald McDonald
Aug. 28, 2014, 6:39 am
M. Gold from Sheepshead Bay says:
Hello Stan
Somebody once said that murderers should be hung in a very large place such as Yankee Stadium. Charge ten dollars a seat with all the money going to the poor, heartbroken family. Was that you?
Aug. 28, 2014, 6:58 am
Marilyn from Sheepshead Bay says:
Wow, M. God, I like that idea very much--as long as they've been proven guilty. Great idea.
Aug. 28, 2014, 10:03 am
Ed Stein from BB says:
What a shame. So many mean, small minded people. Nerds of less than stellar intelligence and EQs too small to measure playing at being Rambo wannabes - as long as somebody else does the dirty work.
Freedom of speech? Nobody said otherwise. That would be the 1st Amendment. #2 is militias and owning weapons. I"ll bet you Brooklyn sadists are all for that. I can just picture the pseudo Rambo "let 'em suffer" sadists among us quivering as 5 or 6 people casually stroll down Park Slope with properly holstered but very visible Glocks or AKs. The streets would be streaked with trails of brown for their entire kengths.
I guess you all want to trash the 5th too, eh? What I'd like to see is Mr Ed hete exercise his 1st Amendment right to a NYC cop who stops him 'cause he is bored or maybe did not make enough collars this week. C'mon bigshot. Be all 1st Amendment to a cop with an attitude and a quota.
Aug. 28, 2014, 7:54 pm
EdStein from BB says:
M Gold:
The proper word is "hanged" not "hung". People in your utopia get "hanged" not "hung".
I'm just guessing that you don't read much more than this and the comics section of the Post.
Aug. 29, 2014, 3:44 am