Fire erupts inside E. 49th Street home in Flatlands

FDNY: Flatlands fire sparked by mattress

Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Firefighters battled a smoky blaze on E. 49th Street and Avenue J in Flatlands on Tuesday night — a fire FDNY sources said began when someone lit up a mattress.

Smoke eaters raced to the scene at 10:15 pm. It took about 45 minutes to evacuate the home and bring the fire, which investigators labeled suspicious, under control.

No injuries were reported, explained fire officials, who said that the blaze started on a mattress in the attic.

— Thomas Tracy

Reach Deputy Editor Thomas Tracy at or by calling (718) 260-2525.
Posted 3:20 am, August 16, 2012
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!