Stan has some talking points for a faithful readers

Don’t miss our updates:

The following is for Canarsie Carol who commented that she uses my columns containing various topics to stimulate conversation if and when it slows down to a boring whisper at parties. Thanks, Carol!

Donald Trump asked, “Is the Boston killer eligible for Obama Care to bring him back to health?” Of course he is but, more important, I’d like to know who paid for the brothers’ educations? They attended some pretty good schools and we’re learning now that they received government assistance. Very nice. We taxpayers took very good care of them and look how they thanked us.

Do you take the time to check your bill in a restaurant before tossing down that American Express card? Many of us don’t. Not checking can be costly.

Well, they tried to do it to me again. They added 20 percent to the bill, labeled it a gratuity and then left a blank line next to the word “tip.” I fell for it once, and when I returned home I realized that I double tipped. I telephoned the restaurant manager who explained that his servers are so wonderful that some people don’t feel his suggested gratuity isn’t enough. That’s bull. Now, I don’t fall for that anymore.

What does the Transportation Security Administration do with all those “TSA” locks that they forget to put back on the suitcases? Have you lost any? I’ve already lost three.

When, if ever, will America find out the facts about Benghazi? Has the truth been swept under the rug permanently? And why are so many Americans shocked that Hillary didn’t tell the truth about Benghazi? Hillary is, has always been and will continue to be a liar. Plenty of ink has been used to educate us about the former First Lady. William Safire, in the New York Times of all places, wrote about her being a “congenital liar.” The funny thing is that she told so many lies about so many unimportant things. Who really cares if she rooted for the Yankees or the Cubs?

Do you favor the use of surveillance cameras in public places? Several days after the Boston bombing, Scott Rasmussen asked and 70 percent shouted “yes!” Only 18 percent said “no!” The rest were busy watching reruns of “Hardcore Pawn.”

I don’t get it. If you have nothing to hide why would there be a problem? Then again, you may not want your wife to see who you were with at that public place. Hmmm.

Why did the authorities of Wisconsin shut down one of this nation’s most popular nude beaches? We’re told that it was closed because of an overabundance of drug use. If that is true, where do they hide the drugs when they bring them to the beach?

Should the Boston bombing suspect, Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, get the death penalty? This question has been asked by many in the American media and most of the responses are in the affirmative. I found the results of the poll taken by the Washington Times, a newspaper that covers a vast left-wing area, most interesting.

An overwhelming 87 percent voted to execute the man as soon as possible. I was stunned by the responses who shouted that I am as bad as the murderer who committed the dastardly deed. No! I am not!

Did you know that more than half the prisoners in Gitmo are on a hunger strike? Think of the chutzpah — terrorists and war combatants complaining about prison conditions? I am StanGershbein@Bellsouth.net asking, do you care?

Read Stan Gershbein's column every Monday on BrooklynDaily.com.
Posted 12:00 am, May 6, 2013

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

Ed from So BK says:
Stan, the Washington Times is a 'way "*right*-wing" newspaper with a 'way "right-wing" readership.
May 6, 2013, 12:18 pm
Stan from Courier-Life says:
Dear Ed - I stand corrected. Thank you very much.
Stan
May 6, 2013, 6:11 pm
Chicken Underwear from Park Slope says:
Stan

You are certainly not as bad as a terrorist but you should learn how to interrupt survey data.

I assume you are talking about this.... http://www.washingtontimes.com/polls/2013/apr/23/should-boston-bombing-suspect-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-19/results/

The question asked "Poll: Should Boston bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, 19, get the death penalty?" Nothing about "as soon as possible".

But more importantly, this was not a scientific survey of Washington residents. This is a poll of people who choose to go to the Washington Times's website and click a box.

This is not the first time you used this kind of information in your column. You should know better.

If you want people to start conversations based on your columns you should use facts.

Are you a journalist or a hate monger?
May 8, 2013, 5:59 am
Chicken Underwear from Park Slope says:
BTW, I might have clicked that box with the other 87%
May 8, 2013, 5:59 am
liz from Brooklyn says:
I was under the impression that 86 of the hunger strikers at Gitmo have been cleared for release and that was why they started the strike . To draw attention that they have been cleared for release but not released yet.
If they have already been cleared for release, then I assume that they are not actually terrorists and have a right to complain about a prison they should not even be in .
May 10, 2013, 10:59 am
Chicken Underwear from Park Slope says:
Liz,

Don't bother.

Stan is not interested in facts, or the opinions of his readers. He just wants to stir up the hate and fear.
May 10, 2013, 2:20 pm
jon from dyker heights says:
I'm late to this party but re the bombers' "pretty good schools," could the writer get his facts straight?

The older brother went to a community college. Meh.

Younger bro went to un-statusy Cambridge Rindge and Latin .... which despite fancy name is just the usual bleh local public HS.

Younger bro then went to UMass in Dartmouth Mass. That is an unstatusy state school. It is NOT the pricey-old-Ivy Dartmouth College .... which, btw, is in New Hampshire, not in Mass.

And that goof about the Washington Times WAS clueless. The WT is owned by Rev Moon's church and is so extremist right that it makes reasonable conservatives cringe.

Sheesh, writer. Get off the block and do some fact checks.
May 12, 2013, 2:45 pm
Ben DuBose from Former Canarsieite says:
Stan,
As usual you're OPINIONS are right on target!
Ben DuBose
May 13, 2013, 10:07 am

Comments closed.

Classifieds
Schneps Community News Group

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: