Sections

Teenagers making ‘earwax’ hash caused Dec. 17 explosion in Marine Park

Police: Teens soaking pot in butane caused Marine Parkway disaster

Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Two kids’ plan to get high went up in smoke — and took them with it.

A pair of Marine Park teens trying to cook up a potent form of marijuana triggered the horrific gas explosion that rocked a house on Marine Parkway on Dec. 17 — and sent the couple to the hospital with severe burns, police report.

Police say 19-year-old Anthony Gambale and 17-year-old Gabriella Katanov were trying to make so-called “earwax” — a concentrated cannabis resin — shortly after 2 am in a garage behind Gambale’s house by soaking a large quantity of pot in butane in order to separate the plant from its intoxicating oil.

One of the two made the mistake of striking a light — causing a fireball to erupt in the carport.

Police and firefighters arrived at 2:21 am and rushed the seared teens to Staten Island University Hospital with second and third degree burns.

The two will face charges of criminal use of drug paraphernalia, reckless endangerment, and possession of marijuana.

Reach reporter Will Bredderman at wbredderman@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260-4507. Follow him at twitter.com/WillBredderman.
Updated 5:27 pm, July 9, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

ha from bk says:
Thank you, BD, for finally sending WB to cover this ... after the previous erroneous BD report:

http://www.brooklyndaily.com/stories/2013/51/mm-marine-parkway-gas-explosion-2013-12-20-bk_2013_51.html
Dec. 20, 2013, 11:15 am

Comments closed.

Classifieds
Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your community:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!