America should take the lead in defending Israel

Don’t miss our updates:

I was never a big fan of Michael Bloomberg, but I now give him a great big standing ovation for having the courage to fly to Israel when U.S. airlines did not.

Why did our former mayor fly to Israel? Obviously to make a statement. The two most important Jewish politicians in the U.S. are Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and Chuck Schumer. Why have we not heard from them?

I am sure that they made their opinions known before small groups such as those in synagogues, and by adding their names to congressional letters signed by colleagues. They’ll even talk to an empty room in Congress which we probably could have watched in the middle of the night on C-Span Gimmel.

Hey Chuck, how about calling a national press conference such as the one you called when you complained about the price of corn flakes?

I also salute Joan Rivers for her mega-marvelous comments on the subject. She hit the nail on the head when she shouted her thoughts about the human shields. Those casualties brought to mind the famous quote by Golda Meier. “We can forgive you for killing our sons. But we will never forgive you for making us kill yours.”

Yes, Mr. Hamas Leadership — continue to place your sons in front of your rocket firepower and you will be responsible for the creation of many more martyrs.

And to those of you who are ready to write and tell me how savage and cruel Israel is for the way it is defending itself, please let me inform you that here in the United States you are in the minority. According to the most recent polling by Pew, more than twice as many Americans — 40 percent — say that Hamas is responsible for the current violence in the Gaza, compared to only 19 percent who blame Israel. The rest are busy watching “Naked and Afraid” and have no opinion at all.

So does Hamas want peace? It’s only my opinion, but I think that Hamas wants a cease fire so that it can replenish, reload, and continue in its sworn mission to wipe Israel off the map.

•••

I read a lot of newspapers from out of town. I often find items that say it so well that I feel it is a lot smarter for me to just quote the source. The following is the last paragraph from a piece in the Washington Post:

“Israel is the legal creation of the United Nations. It has an absolute right not merely to exist but to do so safe from rockets or incursions by tunneling terrorists. In 1948, Harry Truman swiftly recognized Israel. America took the lead. It is time for it to do so again.”

Do you hear that Ms. Wasserman-Schultz? I am sending you a copy. I expect a response.

I am StanGershb­ein@Bellso­uth closing with another thought from Golda. She said: “We will only have peace with the Arabs when they learn to love their children more than they hate us.”

Read Stan Gershbein's column every Monday on BrooklynDaily.com.
Updated 5:34 pm, July 9, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

Iron Lady from Bay Ridge says:
I was never a fan of Mayor Bloomberg either but looking back, he was majestic compared to the guy we have now.
Aug. 11, 2014, 7:56 am
Sylvia K from Canarsie says:

I'm in total agreement with your article. You're right! Where are Chuck and Debbie, and why aren't they speaking out for Israel. Only time I hear from her is when she is soliciting money for the Democratic organization. But not a word about Israel.
Aug. 11, 2014, 10:34 am
Ronald from Sheepshead Bay says:
You are correct Stan.
The current 113th U.S. Congress is comprised of 34 Jewish members of which only one Congressman, Eric Cantor is a Republican. Eric Cantor lost his primary bid last month. The remaining 33 members are comprised of
11 Democratic U.S. Senators, 1 Independent who caucuses with the Democrats and 21 Democratic U.S. Congress members. Leaders in both Houses are Jewish, US Senator Charles Shumer and Representative Debbie Wasserman-Schultz. On television many left wing liberals commentators are Jewish, yet you only hear voices such as Bill O'Reilly, Megan Kelly and Sean Hannity defending Israel's right to protect itself. WHY ARE JEWS SO LIBERAL? Why hasn't our left wing liberal Jewish elected officials and left wing commentators voice their support for the only Democracy in the Middle East? JEWS DO NOT NEED OTHER ENEMIES, THEY HAVE THEMSELVES !!!
Aug. 11, 2014, 11:32 am
Helen from Manhattan says:
Way to go, Stan. I am not Jewish but I support Israel's right to defend itself. Why is Hamas hiding behind the skirts of their women and sacrificing their children? Wake up America!
Aug. 11, 2014, 4:57 pm
B. Goldstein from Sheepshead Bay says:

Debbie's thoughts are hidden away on p 11 in today's paper. The Israeli situation is an international problem. Debbie is the NATIONAL chairwoman. I think her pro-Israel thoughts should be wider spread than just hidden in a local newspaper.
Aug. 11, 2014, 6:18 pm
Ed Stein from BB says:
A relative of mine in the IDF fought there recently. His team entered a house, an old man was sitting. They did not shoot the old guy. The old guy stood up, charged the soldiers and activated an explosive belt.
Similar thing in a different house with an old woman. She had 5 fragmentation grenades which exploded.
They found anti tank shells, kalachnikovs, bullets, etc. in almost every house. Not to mention underground tunnels filled with weapons and booby traps, under beds, in kitchens, in mosques, etc.
When you use old folks as explosive bait and count on the humanity of the soldiers to kill the soldiers who try NOT to kill innocents, when you use schools and mosques as ammunitions bunkers and command centers, you also lose the right to cry when the other side attacks them. Even war has rules (for civilized peoples). Hamas, ISIS, the PLO and similar play by different rules then cry and wail to the UN that Israel or the US or other civilized cultures caused them (the savages) damage.
Aug. 12, 2014, 7:06 am
Liberal Democrat from Sheepshead Bay says:
I, as a Jewish Liberal Democrat, must admit that I am deeply disappointed in Sen. Schumer and Rep. Wasserman-Schultz.
Aug. 15, 2014, 9:44 am
zak from FL. says:
Why didn't US. insisted ,that Israel its traditional ally should do everything possible to eliminate all terrorist groups in Gaza .Israel has the right to defend itself .
Aug. 16, 2014, 9:25 am

Comments closed.

Classifieds
Schneps Community News Group

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: