Sections

Governor will not replace temporary DA

Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Daily on Facebook.

The handpicked successor of late District Attorney Ken Thompson will remain in the post until Thompson’s term ends at the close of 2017, Gov. Cuomo announced on Oct. 18. Thompson named his No. 2, Chief Assistant District Attorney Eric Gonzalez, as the borough’s top prosecutor in his absence on Oct. 4 — less than a week before he succumbed to colon cancer. Cuomo has the power to appoint a replacement, but has opted to leave the reins with Gonzalez.

“While we continue to mourn the loss of District Attorney Thompson, the important work of the Brooklyn’s DA office does not cease. Until the next election, the Brooklyn DA’s Office will continue to be led by Chief Assistant District Attorney Eric Gonzalez,” Cuomo tweeted on Monday.

The Governor’s announcement comes after rumors that three women — Public Advocate Tish James, former prosecutor Ann Swern, and former Commissioner on Human Rights Patricia Gatling — were all vying for the for appointment to the seat.

Gonzalez is a native Brooklynite and previously served as the borough’s trial bureau chief in Flatbush, Sunset Park, Midwood, Sheepshead Bay, and Coney Island. He joined the District Attorney’s office in 2011 and was named chief assistant in the fall of 2014.

Thompson made a name for himself overturning false convictions rendered under previous prosecutor Charles Hynes. Advocates have expressed concern that whoever replaces Thompson would not take up that mantle, but the district attorney’s office credits Gonzalez with helping Thompson launch the so-called Conviction Review Unit.

“I am deeply honored to be able to carry out District Attorney Thompson’s vision of equal justice for all in Brooklyn, and I pledge to continue his criminal justice reforms. I am fully committed to the important initiatives that we have put in place and will work every day to keep the people of Brooklyn safe,” Gonzalez said in a statement.

The office will not say whether he will seek reelection next year.

Reach reporter Julianne Cuba at (718) 260–4577 or by e-mail at jcuba@cnglocal.com. Follow her on Twitter @julcuba.

Updated 2:50 pm, October 19, 2016
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Get our stories in your inbox, free.

Like Brooklyn Daily on Facebook.

Reader feedback

Gorgeous Mosaic says:
Bravo to DA Gonzalez.

It's going to be really interesting next year.
There will be many coming out and salivating for that job!
Oct. 19, 2016, 1:17 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

Classifieds
Community News Group

Don’t miss out!

Stay in touch with the stories people are talking about in your neighborhood:

Optional: Help us tailor our newsletters to you!