Sections

Local pols call for barriers at Coney Island Boardwalk after Manhattan truck attack

Never again: After a terrorist drove this rental truck down 15 blocks of a Manhattan bike path on Oct. 31, killing eight people and injuring 12, local pols want the city to install bollards protecting the Coney Island Boardwalk to keep a similar attack from happening there.
Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

A pair of Southern Brooklyn pols are calling on the city to make the Coney Island Boardwalk safer for pedestrians after last month’s Manhattan truck attack on the West Side Highway killed eight people and injured twelve.

Councilmen Mark Treyger (D–Coney Island) and Chaim Deutsch (D–Sheepshead Bay) sent letters to Mayor DeBlasio, Police Commissioner James O’Neill, and Parks Commissioner Mitchell Silver calling on the trio’s offices to install retractable, fortified bollards at certain entry points to the Riegelmann Boardwalk to restrict vehicle access to authorized vehicles.

Treyger said that even though the police department has successfully foiled other attempted attacks on the city, the barriers have become increasingly necessary to protect the Coney Boardwalk after other truck attacks in Nice, London, Berlin, Stockholm, Times Square, and now Lower Manhattan have killed dozens and injured hundreds more.

“As we’ve sadly seen — both in our own city and on an international level — vehicles are increasingly being used in high-pedestrian-traffic areas as weapons to attack the public,” Treyger said. “Securing the entries to these areas with retractable, fortified bollards is an important measure of protection that still enables access for authorized vehicles. Our city must do everything in its power to make sure we are keeping people safe.”

Deutsch said in a statement that the Oct. 31 attack — the deadliest in city since the 9-11 attacks — made the speedy installation of the Boardwalk protections imperative because they would help prevent car attacks on the iconic beachfront walkway, which sees more than 14 million visitors a year.

“This attack has demonstrated that we must be ultra-vigilant, and take necessary precautions to protect New Yorkers,” said Deutsch. “Retractable safety bollards would provide security on the boardwalk from the threat of vehicle attacks.”

Both Treyger and Deutsch have been calling for protective bollards at the Boardwalk since April, after a truck attack in Stockholm killed four people.

Local civic leaders have also been voicing their concerns about boardwalk safety beginning of this year, according to the head of the Alliance for Coney Island, who said the space should be completely closed to cars in order to make it safer for pedestrians.

“Non-emergency vehicles do not need access to the Boardwalk and it really should be a safe, pedestrian-only zone,” said Alexandra Silversmith.

The Boardwalk is under the jurisdiction of the Parks Department, which received the letter on Nov. 9, a spokeswoman confirmed. She added that the department has not yet done any cost estimates or feasibility studies on adding bollards to the Boardwalk.

The police department directed all questions to the Department of Transportation, which manages the installation of the bollards. It has not yet responded to a request for comment.

The mayor’s office did not respond to a request for comment.

Reach reporter Julianne McShane at (718) 260–2523 or by e-mail at jmcshane@cnglocal.com. Follow her on Twitter @juliannemcshane.
Updated 2:47 pm, November 13, 2017
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

Facepalm from Coney Island says:
This is just dumb. Can we avoid reactionary calls for dumb ideas? Also, instead of just rewriting their press release, can you ask some damn questions? Where would these bollards go? The areas where the largest crowds are around the amusement area don't have direct access for vehicles, only pedestrians. Yes there are crowds, but terrorists aren't targeting locations where people congregate seasonally, they target areas where there are crowds at any given moment.
Nov. 14, 2017, 6:31 pm
Ridiculous says:
Wow! Dumb idea?! Are you delusional! Terrorist don’t care who they kill or how many they kill, the point of having the bollards is to keep all people safe from deranged individuals like the recent one. Obviously the bollards would go to locations that are accessible by vehicle. Wake up face palm we live in a different world now.
Nov. 16, 2017, 12:59 pm

Enter your comment below

By submitting this comment, you agree to the following terms:

You agree that you, and not BrooklynDaily.com or its affiliates, are fully responsible for the content that you post. You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening or sexually-oriented material or any material that may violate applicable law; doing so may lead to the removal of your post and to your being permanently banned from posting to the site. You grant to BrooklynDaily.com the royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, distribute, perform and display such content in whole or in part world-wide and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.

Classifieds
Schneps Community News Group

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: