Sections

Blaze guts Canarsie home

Devastation: A fire caused extensive damage to this E. 96th Street home in Canarsie, and injured three people, one critically, on Jan. 6.
Brooklyn Daily
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

A house fire ignited by a space heater ripped through a Canarsie home on Jan.9, injuring three people, one critically.

The blaze at 1160 E. 96th Street near Flatlands Avenue began at 5:17 pm, according to a fire department spokesman.

Rescuers brought one person with critical injuries to Staten Island University Hospital, and another victim, plus a firefighter, were taken to Kings County Hospital with minor injuries, said the spokesman.

One hundred and six firefighters and emergency personnel responded to the blaze, bringing it under control at 6:58 pm, but only after the house suffered extensive damage.

Firefighters determined the cause of the blaze, which broke out on the first floor, was accidental, due to unsafe placement of a kerosene-powered space heater.

“Someone was using a space heater too close to some combustibl­es,” the spokesman said. “And the combustibles ignited.”

Reach reporter Adam Lucente at alucente@cnglocal.com or by calling (718) 260–2511. Follow her on Twitter @Adam_Lucente.
Posted 12:00 am, January 12, 2018
Today’s news:
Share on TwitterTweet
Share on Facebook
Subscribe

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

Comments closed.

Classifieds
Schneps Community News Group

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: