Golden concedes state Senate race to Gounardes, ending 16-year run in office

Don’t miss our updates:

He officially ended the Golden age.

Republican Marty Golden formally conceded his Southern Brooklyn seat of sixteen years to Democratic rival and state Senator–elect Andrew Gounardes on Monday, 13 days after Gounardes claimed an Election Day victory in the race to represent the state’s 22nd Senate district, which includes Bay Ridge, Dyker Heights, Bensonhurst, Marine Park, Gerritsen Beach, Gravesend, and parts of Sheepshead Bay, Borough Park, and Midwood.

“I congratulate Andrew Gounardes and wish him well in his service to the people of the 22nd state Senate District,” state Sen. Golden said.

Days after the highly anticipated race, Golden on Nov. 8 vowed not to bow out until election officials counted every ballot, even after Gounardes pulled ahead by more than 1,100 votes, according to the most-recent data from the state Board of Elections, which does not yet reflect more than 1,800 absentee ballots cast in the district.

Officials with the Kings County Board of Elections accepted those ballots through Nov. 13, and began counting them the following day, but reps for the state and local board did not immediately comment when asked about the status of the abentee-ballot count.

A rep for the state board, however, previously told this newspaper that the county board has until Dec. 3 to finish its count, before the state board’s Dec. 14 deadline to certify the results.

Golden, a former cop whose general election-loss is the pol’s first in his eight terms as a representative in Albany’s upper house, said he is proud of his record as a legislator, and that he looks forward to continuing to serve his district as a private citizen.

“I am so proud of what I have accomplished for my city, my state, and the neighbors I have been honored to represent,” Golden said. “Although we came up just short this election, I am grateful my career in public service has been full of much success as a police officer and as an elected official. As I think of the future, my supporters, neighbors, and friends can be sure that I will still always look for opportunities to make our neighborhoods an even better place to live, work, and raise a family.”

And Gounardes promised to work with the outgoing pol to ensure a smooth transition, so that he can hit the ground running upon taking office in Albany in January.

“Now that the election is over, I am grateful to people of Southern Brooklyn for their support, and humbled by their trust in me to be our community’s voice in Albany,” he said. “I look forward to coordinating with Sen. Golden on a smooth transition between now and January, so that our community can come together and move forward.”

Reach reporter Julianne McShane at (718) 260–2523 or by e-mail at jmcshane@cnglocal.com. Follow her on Twitter @juliannemcshane.
Updated 12:35 pm, November 19, 2018

Don’t miss our updates:

Reader feedback

Francine Cundari from Brooklyn south says:
He is a great Senator I doubt anyone can fill his shoes. Very sad of his loss.
Nov. 19, 2 pm
Anna says:
This Race Was Winnable By Marty But Gerry Kassar Blew It. Cocksure From Years Of Ham Sandwich Challengers, Gerry Didn't Take The Challenge Seriously And Let People Like Liam Mccabe Take The Wheel. Marty Was In The Fight Of His Life And With How Much Money He Had In The Bank, Marty Should Have Hired A Top Flight Staff Of Professional Campaigners From Washington. Insted They Hired Liam And Steve Maguire's Kid For 15 Bux An Hour And This Is The Result. Oh Well
Nov. 19, 6:54 pm
Alexandra from Upper East side says:
Liam McCabe loses another race..what a surprise. First he lost his own race in the GOP Council primary last year against Quaglione, then he managed Michael Grimm's GOP Primary against Donovan in Brooklyn and lost like 70-30 ..he was with Steve Saperstein and lost that one, and now officially Golden.. Why would any Republican want Liam anywhere near them... Hopefully he did not relapse though
Nov. 19, 7:24 pm
Jimmy says:
We are happy Andrew won the Primary because they told me if Ross had won, Marty would have been re-elected by a big margin
Nov. 19, 7:35 pm
Tom from Bay Ridge says:
Today is a sad day for Southwest Brooklyn. Marty did a great job as state senator since 2004 and before that as city councilman. The wrong person won this election. We will miss summer concerts on Shore Road/Marine Park,Summer stroll,and especially the 9/11 memorials on the Bay Ridge pier. He and his staff were always responded when it came to neighborhood pothole repair and he helped me get reimbursed from the city back in 2005 for bike tire damage from potholes. Andrew won because he got illegal votes from the Beirut part of Bay Ridge. Muslims don't care about the community at all and most of them are not us citizens. Andrew G only cares about a paycheck. Trust me on that. Mr Marty thank you for your years of great service for our community. You will be missed.
Nov. 20, 10:19 am
Jack from Marine Park says:
Sad to see that Marty Golden didn't go out on his terms. He has done so much good for the community for so long. Andrew from what I see something is missing. What it is I am not sure right now I will see it soon.
Nov. 20, 1:38 pm
Frank Grassi from Dyker Heights says:
With Marty Golden AND Dan Donovan out. This . community will have no Republican representation in either the NYS Senate or in Congress. If the Democrats have their way..we will soon have a ONE PARTY government. Not what our founding fathers envisioned. Are we headed for a "give away" socialist state where everyone "gets" but nobody "gives"? Our Social Security system is already going broke, and you, my dear workers, are going to pay dearly when your retirement time comes. I'm glad I'm already retired..at least there was some money left in the public piggy bank for my old age. What will your future be? Better think about what you really want!
Nov. 20, 2:45 pm
Tom from Bay Ridge says:
To Alexandria and Anna: Liam McCabe and Gerry Kasar are not the reason on why Marty loss. They both worked for Marty and they fight for what is best. Marty loss because of the changing demographic of Southwest Brooklyn. I know Liam for a long time and he would have done a good job of elected for City council last year. Liam will get his shot soon. Marty losing is a loss for the community.
Nov. 20, 8:54 pm
John S from Bay Ridge says:
Liam will get his shot at What? 7th stint in rehab
Nov. 21, 10:47 am
Pascale says:
Earth to "Tom from Bay Ridge"....... Liam could barely cobble together 600 votes and lost badly to John Quaglione in the Republican Primary. Liam would have been smoked by the Democrat in the General Election. Besides, he has a substance abuse problem and is unfit for office.
Nov. 22, 1:39 pm

Classifieds
Schneps Community News Group

Keep it local!

Stay in touch with your community. Subscribe to our free newsletter:

Optional: